Sumner County Board of Education employees are charged with educating and caring for one of our most precious assets – our students. Therefore, it is imperative that school employees are supported in their efforts to stay healthy and active, so they can do their job most effectively and lead by example. Wellness opportunities such as health assessments, health education and physical fitness activities are provided to all school staff, including the administrators, teachers and support personnel, to improve their health status. These opportunities encourage staff to pursue a healthy lifestyle that contributes to their improved health status, improved morale, and greater personal commitment to the overall coordinated school health program. This personal commitment often transfers into greater commitment to the health of students and serving as positive role models. Health promotion activities conducted on-site improve productivity, decrease absenteeism, and reduce health insurance costs. Qualified professionals such as principals, supervisors, health educators, school health nurses provide leadership in this area.
Healthy School Teams - Staff Wellness
Every school in Sumner County has a Healthy School Team Staff Wellness Plan. We believe that healthy students start with a healthy staff. For more information go to Healthy School Teams.
Sumner County Schools - Staff Wellness/Benefits Department
Staff Wellness Discounts
- Employee Discount Sheet - A list of businesses who provide discounts to Sumner County employees
- Fitness Your Way Fitness Program - Blue Health Solutions (BCBS)
- 24/7 Workout Anytime - huge discounts for SCS employees
- Weight Watchers at work
- Orangetheory Fitness - FREE trial workout and special enrollments for BOE employees.
- AnyTime Fitness - FREE workout Tuesdays at both Gallatin and Hendersonville locations (Hendersonville: 615-461-7429 Gallatin: 615-939-7901)
- AnyTime Fitness - Personal Trainer - Saturdays (615-939-7901) Hendersonville location
- UFC Gym - FREE trial workout and special enrollments for BOE employees.
- Gallatin Jazzercise - 615-275-8861-Registration fee waived as well as 25% off apparel
- Organic Fitness Factory - special prices for BOE employees.
- SCBOE Benefits Newsletter: January - March 2018 Volume 1 - employee benefits and insurance information, health tips
- SCBOE Benefits Newsletter: April - June 2018 Volume 2 - drink more water! Dirty strawberries? 401k info and more
- SCBOE Benefits Newsletter: July - Sep 2018 Volume 3 - drink more water! Dirty strawberries? 401k info and more
Ideas for Staff Wellness include:
1. After school aerobics, yoga, dance classes, fit clubs, etc
2. Staff Fitness Challenges (Weight loss challenge, walking challenge, 30 Day Water Challenge included in the ReThink Your Drink Toolkit, etc)
3. Walk Teams
4. Educational activities for school staff members on healthy lifestyle behaviors, eating, physical activity, and injury prevention.
5. Work with administration and vendors to provide more nutritional options in staff vending machines.
6. Establishment of peer support groups for weight management, stress management, tobacco-use cessation, family guidance, and other identified issues.
7. Time during the school day, such as “release time,” during which teachers and other staff members can participate in health-promoting activities.